Today’s advanced solar energy systems generate continuously renewable power for homes, businesses, farms, hospitals, government operations, and many other electricity users. Solar panels are usually mounted either on the ground or rooftop. Ground-mounted solar panels offer a number of advantages for various kinds of use, and they can be placed in any area of a yard or farm field that receives sunlight during most daytime hours.
For information about ground or roof mount solar panel systems and designing the most efficient system for your specific needs, call Solarise Solar.
- What is a Ground Mount Solar Panel?
- Comparing Roof Mount to Ground Mount Solar Panels
- Residential Application of Solar Panels
- Commercial Application of Solar Panels
- Agricultural Application of Solar Panels
- Government/Business Application of Solar Panels
- Considerations Before Buying Ground Mount Solar Panels
- Why Choose Solarise Solar for Ground Mount Solar Panels in Colorado Springs
- FAQ - Ground Mounted Solar Panels
Here is some information about ground-mounted solar panels, to help you determine if this green energy system is best for your needs.
What is a Ground Mount Solar Panel?
Ground mount solar panels are alternatives to roof mount panels. Ground mount panels are designed to be easily installed on a large ground space in a yard, empty lot. Ground mount solar panels are positioned for maximum absorption of the sun’s energy. Optional tracking devices enable panels to change positions along with the sun’s movement through the sky. The poles supporting ground mount panels can be sized to varying heights, to fit with the topography of the area.
Comparing Roof Mount to Ground Mount Solar Panels
Both roof and ground mounted solar panels perform well and today are collectively generating a spectacular percentage of the world’s electrical power. There are some advantages to using a ground mount solar panels for some locations and usage purposes, for example:
- Ground mount solar panels can be installed at almost any location on your property that has enough sunlight and available space.
Roof mount solar panels limit installation to specific areas, as necessary to fit roof configurations and to comply with safety regulations and the architecture of the roof.
- Ground mount versions can be placed with as much space between panels as needed for easy access, to make any needed adjustments, repairs, or perform ground maintenance.
Roof mounted panels often are installed with necessarily very little space remaining for walking around to perform roof maintenance, requiring removal of solar panels to make repairs, etc.
- Ground mounting allows mounting high enough above the ground to allow abundant airflow under the panels, which keeps them cooler and causes them to convert energy more efficiently.
Roof mount panels in solar energy systems are often somewhat less efficient, due to less airflow.
- Ground mount solar panels offer the benefits of an expandable solar power system, enabling owners to multiply the amount of energy they produce on their properties.
Roof mount panels are installed on more limited spaces on rooftops, which do not typically offer the same potential for increasing square area for installation of additional panels.
- Ground mount solar panels are simpler to install, because they require only an area of solid, open ground that receives sunlight for most of the day.
Roof mount solar panel installation requires assessing architectural considerations, steps to ensure conformance with structural requirements, and compliance with a greater number of regulatory restrictions.
Benefits of Ground Mounted Solar Panels
After the initial investment in high output solar panels, the equipment generates electrical energy for any needs at low cost and requires little if any maintenance throughout the life of the system. Ground mount panels are as effective and in some cases more effective than rooftop panels. Ground mount solar panels offer added benefits for many kinds of residential, business, industrial, agricultural, and other applications.
Homes with solar energy systems can potentially obtain as much as 40 percent of their electricity from their residential solar panels, according to some industry estimates. Still, sometimes families with solar panels on the roofs of their homes discover that they use more electricity than their solar energy systems can deliver. Often, there is no room on the roof to add panels. Ground mount solar panels solve this issue and provide other superior benefits.
- Increased airflow below ground mount solar panels has a cooling effect, which promotes more efficient production of energy than panels mounted closely to roof surfaces.
- Residential ground mounted solar panels enable expansion of a home’s existing solar energy system.
- If part or all of a home’s roof is not oriented at angles that maximize sun exposure for solar panels, the panels may be capturing much less energy from the sun to convert to electricity.
- Ground mount solar panels can be equipped with tracking technology, to have them move along with the sun throughout the day.
- Ground mounted panels eliminate concerns about the need to remove solar panels from the roof or have people try to work around panels to perform roof maintenance, repairs, or eventual replacement.
Using green energy is good for business. Solar energy systems save cost. Businesses may also qualify for rebates, tax credits, and other green-energy incentives. Many businesses with empty lots or unused ground space use ground mount solar panels. Properly installed, high-quality ground-mounted commercial solar panels transform a company into an up-to-date, environmentally-conscious operation. That profile enhances marketability and can increase profit margin. Ground mount panels may offer additional benefits:
- Ground mount solar panels provide an option when no roof space is available.
- Solar energy systems are enhancements that add value to commercial properties.
- Almost any vacant area of the property can be transformed into an energy-production asset.
- Generating solar energy to cut costs is a way to turn unused areas of commercial real estate into highly useful, profitable parts of the business.
- In many cases, ground-mounted solar panels can be installed over parking lots, for dual purpose of producing energy and shading parked cars.
- Ground mounted solar panels are exceptional marketing tools that reflect the excellent character of a brand that is sensitive to its audience’s interests.
Farms, of course, need large amounts of power in a steady supply. Operations with unused areas of land have enough space to install a ground mount solar panels. A ground mounted array of solar panels can:
- Generate clean power that is reliable anywhere where there is sunshine.
- Eliminate some of the expenses and inconveniences of using diesel, propane, and kerosene.
- Reduce energy costs for farming operations.
- Produce usable energy for lighting and heating water and buildings and greenhouses.
- Cause much less negative impact to the environment.
- Provide energy for pumping water, running conveyors, operating dryers, electric fences, etc.
Businesses and Government Entities
Ground mounted solar panels can serve well in environments with large energy consumption needs. Industrial facilities, Apartment buildings, Subdivisions with HOAs, Hospitals, Government complexes, Schools, and many other property usage types are well served by this form of green energy production. Just some of the benefits from solar energy use these organizations could realize include the following:
- Major electrical power users can save large amounts on energy costs.
- Large collectives of users can realize enormous reductions in pressure on the energy grid.
- When organizations go solar, they significantly reduce harmful emissions.
- They elevate their image as a socially and environmentally conscious organization.
- They set an example of economically responsible organizational leadership.
- The leadership builds community confidence in the organization’s commitment to positive social and environmental impact.
For a detailed cost/benefit analysis and projected rate of return on your solar energy investment, contact Solarise to discuss your needs with a commercial solar energy system specialist.
Considerations Before Buying Ground Mount Solar Panels
Some businesses and homeowners want to buy solar panels as soon as possible, and they may overlook important considerations to be addressed before moving forward with installation. Here are some fundamental things you can do to help ensure optimum performance over the expected life span of your solar energy system.
- Solar energy panels vary in output capacity. Research the differences between high-quality solar energy products and lesser quality alternatives. Investing in quality equipment avoids unnecessary repair and solar panel maintenance costs later.
- Be aware of the best solar panel company for the kind of installation plan you need and others. Either product performance or installation quality can have a positive or negative effect on your business.
- Make sure that ground mounted solar panel systems are installed in areas with low foot traffic.
- Have a comprehensive site analysis, including a feasibility report of all equipment, installation, and any other cost of solar energy system purchase and installation.
- Get answers on site selection and preparation, maintaining access, the number of panels needed, how solar energy production works, how metering works, who to contact at the electric company, and other frequently asked questions about ground mount solar panel systems.
- Work only with a well-established and highly reputable seller and installer, who can provide an abundance of reputable references. Choose an industry expert with knowledge of all applicable solutions and extensive solar energy systems experience. This can help you avoid loss of profits and the need to make additional investments later.
- There are substantial tax credits and rebates for purchases of solar panel systems after you install your solar energy system, but keep in mind that these incentives are decreasing each year.
If you want to convert to green operations, ground mount solar panels are just one of the excellent options available to you. Start your selection process by having a comprehensive site analysis and a benefits evaluation. Those assessments will help in determining which solar energy system and/or other means of green energy production makes the best sense for your property and the range of ways you use it.
Solarise Solar, Colorado Springs, CO
We configure and install high-efficiency solar panels in both roof and ground mounted solar energy systems for a vast range of residential, commercial, and industrial applications. The PV products we provide are among the most durable and efficient available today. We will provide you with expert consultation, to help you determine the best solar energy system for your specific needs and budget.
Our team of installation specialists has extensive experience and is fully committed to our industry’s highest standards for safety, transparency, workmanship, and professionalism. We also understand the importance of communicating clearly, and we keep our commitments.
Just a few of the benefits we offer our customers include:
- Zero up-front investment, low-interest financing
- Solar energy system monitoring
- 30-year Warranty on solar panels
Solarise Solar has built an outstanding reputation in our region by helping our southern Colorado customers obtain the best possible product quality and pricing, and consistently delivering exceptional quality solar energy systems installation.
FAQ - Ground Mounted Solar Panels
One advantage of ground-mount solar panels is that you’re free to install them at nearly any location where you can dedicate some space for them to operate.
- Sufficient sunlight — Ground-mount solar panels can be placed virtually anyplace on your property where there is enough unshaded space to receive abundant sunlight.
- Large enough area — The space you need for your solar panels depends upon the size of the system you need in order to produce the amount of usable energy to meet the objectives you choose for it. Typically, homes with electricity bills of around $120/month, for example, require a solar energy system of about 10 kW. That requires approximately 624 square feet (0.014 acres).
- Low foot traffic — Choose an area for solar panel installation that is away from high foot traffic areas, such as close to the exterior of your house, near walkways, driveways, garages, edges of gardens, near entertainment spaces, near children’s play areas, near property lines, etc.
- Distance from utility interconnection — In order to minimize your installation cost and maximize the net productivity of your solar energy system, you may prefer to install your system closer to the interconnection with your utility conduit. This reduces the amount of energy lost in traveling a longer distance to that connection.
Preparing for the installation of your new solar energy system can be unnecessarily confusing and time-consuming, or it can be made ideally easy for you. Work only with a reputable installer who provides the full range of services for solar energy systems. The best solar panel company will manage all aspects of the project, including all paperwork, and will advise you thoroughly and accurately throughout the process.
When working with your area’s best solar energy company, to buy solar panels and prepare for installation, all you should need to do is:
- Decide how much electricity you want your system to produce.
- Think about where you prefer to have your system installed.
- Take advantage of available tax credits, utility rebates, and other solar incentives.
- Decide whether you want a battery storage system.
- Be aware of local regulations regarding solar panel installation.
- If you choose to have a rooftop installation, be sure your roof is prepared in advance for the additional weight load.
- Make sure the area where installers need to walk and work is clear and easy to access.
Today’s high-efficiency solar panels normally do not require much maintenance. With minimal cleaning once or twice per year to keep too much dirt and debris from obstructing sunlight is enough to ensure that panels are producing power optimally. Ground-mounted solar panels are more easily accessible, so they are faster and easier to keep clean, and if you find snow, leaves, or landscape debris on the panels, you can just use a broom to gently sweep it off.
Commercial or residential solar panels are part of a complete solar energy system. Each system is uniquely designed, based on the particular needs for use on the property, and on the owner’s budget and power production goals for the system. Both ground-mount solar panels and roof-top PV arrays range in size, from standard residential or commercial solar energy systems to specialized structures configured to meet individual specifications. Generally speaking, a standard residential solar energy system consists of a set of core components including:
- Solar panels, inverters, DC/AC disconnects, meters, mounts, racks, and wiring. Systems limited to these basic components are typically tied to the public power supply grid.
- Some solar energy systems require additional components for expanded functionality in off-grid systems. Such added equipment can include batteries, charge controllers, and other items.
For More Information
The southwestern region of the United States is one of the world’s most ideal environments for utilization of our great natural resource of a dependable abundance of solar energy all year long. We’re here to help you start tapping into that extraordinary renewable energy resource.
For information about ground or roof mount solar panel systems and designing the most efficient system for your specific needs, call Solarise Solar, Colorado Springs CO at (719) 792-7725, or contact us online for a free proposal/estimate.