Since the advent of solar energy use in the mid-1950s, more and more industries, commercial businesses, and private individuals have been making the most of the sun as an energy resource. Solar energy has become the fastest-growing segment of the energy market. The industry now generates jobs at over 500% of the U.S. general employment market rate. We’re in an increasingly solar-driven world. So, below are some fun facts to help us all know more about the amazing role of solar energy on Earth.
Solar Energy Facts for the Environment
The sun provides an environmentally safe and effectively endless supply of renewable energy for human needs. By contrast, fossil fuels take millions of years to regenerate. Further, burning fossil fuels damages the environment. Increasing solar panel installation can change the relationship between humans and our planet. Here are 20 fun facts about solar energy for the environmentally conscious and domestically cost-conscious reader:
- The solar energy industry now generates jobs at over 500% of the U.S. general employment market rate!
- A single hour of sunlight is enough energy to run everything electrical on Earth by solar panels systems for a year.
- The photovoltaic effect was discovered in 1839, and the first photovoltaic cell (the primary component of solar panels) was created in 1941.
- In the past 5 years, solar energy generated through solar panels has become the cheapest source of energy in the United States.
- The first modern solar power cell was developed in 1954 by Bell Laboratories.
- China, the European Union, and the United States are the world’s top 3 producers of energy from solar panel systems.
- It takes approximately 8 minutes for light to travel the 94 million miles from the sun to strike the solar panels at your home.
- California produces the largest amount of solar energy of any state in the country.
- U.S. employment in solar panel systems equipment production, installation, and related solar industry jobs have soared 167% in the last 10 years.
- Solar panel use prevents the burning of as many as 75 million barrels of oil each year.
- The U.S. currently has a combined capacity in installed solar panel systems to power over 18.6 million homes.
- The solar panels currently installed in the U.S. (2020) can save a total of more than 116 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
- Using solar panels is preventing up to 35 tons of carbon dioxide from going into the air each year.
- There are currently more than 12 million homes powered by solar panel systems in the United States.
- Solar panels produce approximately 10 kW hours of electricity per square foot.
- On average, homeowners reach the solar pay-back date on their solar panel systems equipment in about 8.5 years.
- Monocrystalline silicon is the most efficient material for manufacturing solar panels.
- Solar energy is used by the majority of organizations in the EPA’s top renewable energy partners, including Microsoft, Boeing, AT&T, Starbucks, General Mills, Johnson & Johnson, and many others.
- Direct sunlight is not necessary for solar panels to produce electricity.
- Over 28 years of its 30-year life span, the average rooftop solar panel system supplying only 50% of a home’s electricity would cut 100 tons of carbon dioxide from its emissions!
Why Now is the Right Time to Go Solar
You can start to save money now on your utility bills, stop renting your power production facilities and work toward owning your equipment. Payments for solar equipment and electric bills generally cost less than the utility bills without solar energy. Among the many significant benefits of solar panels, they increase property value.
Utility company rates increase over time. Solar panels deliver free electricity after the panels are paid for in full. The average solar payback period (to realize ROI) is generally around just 8.5 years! You can start helping save the planet now by reducing your fossil fuel burning to power your home.
Solar panel prices are no longer dropping at the rate they were over the past decade. So, the small savings you can expect to realize on purchasing a solar energy system by waiting another year are likely to be much less than you can save by starting solar use now.
Make The Most of The Sun At Your Home!
Solarise Solar has helped many thousands of Colorado businesses and homeowners get the best possible value on solar panels and installation. Our experts will design a customized solar panel system to meet your particular needs and budget. Our outstanding 30-Year Solar Panel Warranty gives our customers the peace of mind they need throughout the life of their solar panel systems. We provide 0$ down, low-interest financing. Our solar panel installation teams provide the industry’s highest standard of workmanship.
Our system monitoring app enables you to track your solar production anytime from anywhere!